3.03.2007

sarcasm

I've been thinking a lot lately about sarcasm.

Defined as
1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.


Sarcasm kills communication
.

Why don't I say anything when I see that sarcasm hurts people? Why is it that if I did, I would be a stick in the mud?

Sarcasm seems to be a cowards way out of saying what's on their mind without ever really confronting the problem, and they can always get their butt out of hot water by saying, "oh, I was only joking."

I was listening to a sermon a few days ago and he was talking about our speech and how we can use our speech to murder others. We talk about people behind their backs, we offer up "prayer requests" so what we can really do is gossip about them - don't get me wrong, this is hard, I talked about someone behind their back today without confronting them. Too much of a coward I suppose.

I'm beginning to hate sarcasm.

Thoughtless words cut like a sword. But the tongue of wise people brings healing.

Proverbs 12:18

4 Comments:

  • At 3.3.07, Blogger Johnny said…

    I have actually always respected you because you don't usually condone sarcasm or gossip.

    I actually use you as an example of someone who holds people accountable.

    Maybe it was just me you were holding accountable. Hmm?

    Grace,
    Johnny

     
  • At 3.3.07, Blogger The Secret of Happiness said…

    Some people are a little better at embracing accountability than others...

     
  • At 4.3.07, Blogger Kathy said…

    I agree with Johnny. You always tactfully keep people accountable with love.
    This is an interesting entry. I think I use sarcasm far too often because I fear confrontation so much. I completely agree that it is cowardly....Thanks for the accountability. You're a great friend.

     
  • At 5.3.07, Blogger sarah jewett clarke said…

    true.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home